One of the things that Dr. Gatin talked about today was Google Docs. I have never used Google Docs but I've heard that it is pretty neat. It allows two people to work on the same document. One person could edit the document and the other person could make the changes. Google Docs is a tool that I could use as a teacher. Provided that my students have access to it at home, two students could work collaboratively on a project without ever really having to get together in person.
For me, the idea of the multi user virtual environment "Second Life" is still a little bit difficult to wrap my head around! I do see how it could be cool to incorporate Second Life into the classroom though. Many students from around the world have created Avatars in Second Life. Second Life could be used as a way of connecting the student in my classroom to those all over the world. It seems that Second Life could be kind of like an educational community. Another benefit of Second Life is that it creates a way for students to create their own learning activities and experiences. Teachers could have their students create activities for one another to do. Second Life has the benefit for teachers of being able to participate in professional development in this virtual world, and being able to connect with teachers from all over the world. Hopefully there are many teachers out there in this virtual world who use Second Life in their teaching, that a new comer such as myself could get ideas from as to exactly how they use it in their classes. Second Life provides the chance for educators to interact with students in a new and very unique way!
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Tannis,
ReplyDeleteI like your idea about how teachers can use Second Life for teacher networking and P.D. opportunities. There are so many P.D. options available, but adding a new is always rewarding. I think the real educational opportunity is for students to network with students around the world-- kind of a 21st century pen-pals. I may be paranoid, but I just cannot get over the fact that the avatar in the world could be anyone.... and that kind of scares me :(
Hey Jannis,
ReplyDeleteSecond Life does seem like an excellent opportunity for the classroom as long as it can be controlled properly.
It is a great way to connect your classroom to the rest of the world. Even if it's pretty creepy in my books...
Keep fit and have fun!
Burch